Sunday, October 3, 2010

Souffled Pumpkin Pancakes

I saw this one on Paula Dean, and BOY did it look yummy!

Souffled Pumpkin Pancake

5 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup pecan halves
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs. separated
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pumpkin puree
confectioners sugar for dusting
maple syrup for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 10 inch skillet over medium-heat. Add brown sugar and stir until the sugar begins to melt. Add the pecans and cook for 2 more minutes.Transfer the pecans to a small dish and set aside. Reserve the skillet for the pancake.

In a small bowl mix together the flour, pumpkin pie spice, sugar and salt. Set aside.

Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. In a large bowl, add egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and melted butter, whisk until blended. Gradually whisk in flour mixture. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the pumpkin mixture. Gently spoon the batter into the reserved skillet. Sprinkle the top of the pancake mixture with the reserved pecan mixture. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. ( in the skillet pan)

Dust the pancake with confectioners sugar. Cut into wedges and serve with maple syrup.


3 comments:

  1. This was soooo yummy! I loved it! The only problem was that it took almost an hour to cook and my stove cooks on a higher temp and things are usually done quicker than called for. I cooked it 30 min, then another 10, then turned the temp up to 365 and cooked another 12. I did more pecans than called for. I rate a 4.5 and mom a 5! Dad didn't like pumpkin so wouldn't try it and vic isn't a pancake fan so wouldn't try it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this is going to be so yucky....did I have a surprise. Wow, they were sooooo good. I loved them. I rate them a 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally made these and my family loved them. I did only put pecans on half the dish, but would make them again.
    Howard rated 4.5
    Jen 4.5
    Alexander 4
    Joshua 4.5
    Nathaniel 3
    Isabella 1

    ReplyDelete