Monday, April 30, 2012

Back to Cooking, Southwestern style

Holy Cow can you believe? I am starting up our food blog again. We made a really good dinner tonight and my kids loved it so I wanted to share it with you guys. It was totally easy too. So what we did was grilled a few chicken breasts. Looking back we wish we would have marinated them first. But next time. So season your breasts (hahaha) with what ever you want or marinate with what ever you want. Grill them on both sides until juices run clear. Mom don't over grill yours!
In the mean time I cut up some red onion cooked it in a little olive oil added a can of black beans and frozen corn cooked until heated, squoze fresh lime juice and added chopped cilantro.
Bid sliced up the chicken and squoze lime juice on it and placed it on the black bean salad. So yum! Here is the recipe I got it off of Gina's Skinny Taste.

For the black beans and corn:
  • 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels (fresh is fine)
  • 1/4 cup red onion, minced
  • 3 tbsp finely minced cilantro
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
  • kosher salt to taste

Directions:
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté 2 minutes; add beans, corn and salt and cook until heated through, about 6 - 8 minutes.Remove from heat and toss in cilantro and lime juice. Makes 3 1/2 cups.

To drink we made up our own Mojito recipe. We had them at our pool in Vegas. We crushed mint leaves in a glass of ice, enough for each glass. Maybe a tablespoon of mint each. Added fresh lime juice how much you want. Pour a sprite in your glass and added my strawberry sauce, the one I got off of Best bites. Probably a tablespoon for each glass, more if you want. Add crushed fresh strawberries since you don't have the sauce. Stir it gently and drink. Sooooo good. A real recipe has rum and soda water. They also add sugar but we just used a sprite becasue we had it.
Ok my favoritest ladies, lets get back to cooking! : )

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a yummy recipe to whip us back into blogging shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some HELP with meals. Thanks lets get going. I have missed it.

    ReplyDelete