Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Recipes....Yea!

SOUTHWEST SHRIMP TACOS
Serves 8
Total time : 34 minutes

10 to 12 ( 10 inch ) wooden Skewers
2 lb. unpeeled, large raw shrimp ( 21/25 count)
Vegetable spray
2 TBS hot sauce
1 TBS olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. salt
16 to 20 ( 8 inch) soft taco size corn tortillas
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup grated carrots
lime wedges

1. Soak skewers in water for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, peel shrimp : devein, if desired. Coat cold cooking grate of grill with cooking spray, and place on grill. Preheat grill to 350 to 400 degrees.
3. Toss shrimp with hot sauce and next 4 ingredients. Thread shrimp onto skewers. Grill shrimp, covered with grill lid, 1 to 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Grill tortillas 1 minute on each side or until warmed.
4. Combine cabbage and carrots. Remove shrimp from skewers just before serving. Serve shrimp in warm tortillas with Cabbage mixture and lime wedges.
Mom only add 1 TBS hot sauce to yours. :)
Jen rates 5 stars.

SUMMER CORN SALAD ( this would be a great side with tacos.)
4 ears fresh corn
1 (1-pint) container cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
2 TBS red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large can of rinsed black beans

In a large stockpot or dutch oven, bring water to boil over high heat. Cook corn in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Cool slightly. Cut kernels off corn and place in a medium bowl.

Add tomatoes, basil,onion,parsley,feta cheese, vinegar, and oil. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Makes 8 servings

MOIST BLUEBERRY STREUSEL MUFFINS
4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups plain yogurt
2-4 cups blueberries ( fresh or frozen)

STREUSEL TOPPING:
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Gradually add sugar while beating. Continue beating while slowly pouring in oil.
3. Stir in vanilla. Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix gently until blended.
4. Stir in yogurt. Gently fold in blueberries (less stirring the better)
5. Prepare streusel topping by mixing all streusel ingredients in a bowl ( cut in butter with a fork)
6. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle each with streusel topping.
7. Bake in preheated over for 15-20 minutes
Jen rates 3.5 the Hales kids rate 5 stars.
Al rates 3 stars.

13 comments:

  1. This all looks yummy! Can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made all 3 . LOVED the shrimp tacos. Rate that a 5. The raw cabbage is so yummy with it. I also cut up some avocado to go on top, just because I love avocado. Probably a little hot for mom. Mom you should use 1 tbs hot sauce. Corn Salad is also very fresh, love the fresh basil in it. Very yummy together. The muffins makes a lot. I made up a dozen and refrigerated the batter for some later. 3 cups of berries was enough. I thought the muffins were a 3 1/2, kids thought a 5. They liked the topping. The muffins could easily be halved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen do I need to buy a cabbage head or can I save some time and just buy a cole slaw mix (minus the sauce obviously)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made the muffins this morning. After I got started I realized I didn't have plain yogurt so I used sour cream. They were good. I wish I would have doubled the strussel topping,I think I would have liked them better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would buy a head of cabbage, It taste fresher. I am not fond of the cole slaw mix.
    We actually used both green and purple cabbage along with the carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the tacos! Yummy! I give them a 5! Loved the salad too, I love anything with feta. But it leaves a funny taste in my mouth. At first bite I gave it a 5 but after a while of the funny taste left in my mouth I give it a 4. Not sure if maybe my onion was extra strong or if maybe the recipe calls for to much.
    Yum Yum! Thanks for the good recipes Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so tonight was the big night. I made the recipe as it stated. I made two sauces, one for me, which I just used 1 TBS of hot sauce. Perfect for me. I would rate the recipe a 3. I think Dad and Jacob rated it the same 3. Jacob made a suggestion and said he would make more sauce and pour it on the taco. I thought it was a good suggestion. Also Jacob and I both agreed that we would use flour tortillas instead of corn. I also bought an avacado and that was yummy on it. The shrimp were full of flavor, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Mom! Victor likes flour tortillas so when a recipe calls for corn I always use the corn but buy him his flour.
    What did you think of the corn salad?

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Mom, you really made it. I love corn tortillas so it is great for me, but certainly if you like the flour that is what you should have used. Good job mom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can you believe I am learning from MY daughters. These recipes are great. It is fun having someone else come up with some new dinners. After 44 years, I can certainly use some new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the Blueberry Strussel muffins tonight for supper. I 1/4 them, which was just right for us. I rate them a 5.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you liked them MOM! Were they moist? What did you like about them? The streusel on top? Can't wait to see what Recipes you have next week Mom and Millie !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought they were moist. I loved the blueberries and the topping was tasty as well.

    ReplyDelete