Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Butter Pecan Brittle-Bark

1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2 TBLS rum (Yum Yum!)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 cups toasted pecan halves, divided
1 tsp coarse sea salt, divided
6 oz. semisweet or milk choc. chips

Coat a baking sheet and the back of a large serving spoon with non stick spray; set aside.
Heat sugar, butter, water, and corn syrup in a 4quart, heavy bottomed sauce pan over med. heat. Bring to a boil.

Using a pastry brush, wipe sides of pot with warm water just above boiling mixture to melt any sugar crystals on sides of pot. Inset candy thermometer. Cook mixture, stirring gently and frequently, until it's light brown and registers 295 degrees, about 20 minutes.

Off heat, stir in rum, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg. The mixture will foam up, but stir quickly until all ingredients are incorporated. Add 2 cups pecans; stir quickly until evenly distributed.

Pour brittle immediately onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a smooth layer with prepared spoon, to about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle brittle with 1/2 tsp. sea salt.

Drop chocolate chips evenly over brittle; let stand until soft, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile chop remaining cup of pecans; set aside.

Spread chocolate over brittle using an offset spatula. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 tsp salt evenly over brittle-bark.

Cool candy completely, then break into pieces.

Oh I wish you could all see the picture of this candy! It looks scrum-diddly-umptious! I can't wait to make it. Believe it or not I need to go and buy the rum!
It just sounds like a yummy holiday treat. I hope we're not disappointed!
I will be posting another recipe soon!

4 comments:

  1. Are you sitting down???? I have rum. Send Noah down to borrow what you need. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wouldn't that be convienant! but then i would have to borrow it from you just when i need a swig too. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I will have to send Dad to the "glass house". Do you think he will come straight home?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was good, but I still hold mom's English Toffee on a pedistol. I give it a 3.5

    ReplyDelete