Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Frosting for Apple Cake

I found it....browned-butter frosting. It was on another page with other frostings.

Choose Your Frosting (Try these Twists!) For Fresh Apple Cake

Browned-Butter Frosting
1 cup butter
1 (16-oz) package powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cook butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until butter begins to turn golden brown. Remove pan from heat immediately, and pour butter into a small bowl. Cover and chill 1 hr or until butter is cool and begins to solidify.
2. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add powdered sugar alternately with milk, beginning and ending with powdered sugar. Beat mixture at low speed until well blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.

Dark Chocolate Frosting
1 (12-oz) pkg semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup whipping cream
3 TBS butter
1. Microwave semisweet chocolate morsels and whipping cream in a 2-qt microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate begins to melt.
2. Whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Whisk in butter; let stand 20 minutes. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture forms soft peaks. Use immediately.

Cream Cheese Frosting
(you already have that recipe)

Carmel Glaze
Bring 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1/4 cup milk to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir 2 minutes; use immediately.

Streusel Topping
Pour 2 TBS melted butter in a small bowl, and stir in 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 2 TBS all-purpose flour, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Add 1 cup chopped pecans, stirring until mixture is crumbly.

4 comments:

  1. So many decisions that look so yummy! Which one to choose!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the apple cake last night. It turned out really good and was easy too. I added more pecans to the top. We love nuts. Dad gave it a 4 1/2 and I give it a 4. The frosting made it really sweet. I would like to have tried the frostings that the recipe suggested but I was low on time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you just use your regular frosting mom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is one yummy cake. It was so good I sent it to work with Howard so I would not eat the WHOLD THING today. I put the streusel topping on it. I really doubt that i would like it with frosting. I rate it a 5, the rest of the family rated it a 4.5
    Yummy, yummy, yummy

    ReplyDelete