I guess having pasta night on my mind and trying to continue to carb load Alexander this recipe appealed to me. It is from Giada, she did add a ragu sauce recipe to go along with this. I have added the sauce in case you would like to try the fresh homemade approach. If not, you can always use Prego from the grocery store to save time.
Linguine with chicken ragu
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, finely chopped. ( I will probably use breast, less fat.)
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2/3 cup dry white wine
4 cups quick marinara sauce
1 pound dried linguine
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped chicken and cook until the juices evaporate and the chicken is golden, about 10 minutes. Add the shallots, garlic, and rosemary, and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and stir to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add the marinara sauce. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook, stirring often to prevent the pasta from sticking together, until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid. Add the linguine to the ragu and toss to coat, adding some reserved cooking liquid to moisten.
Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and serve.
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes in juice
1 bunch of fresh basil, stemmed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 small onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper
in blender, puree the tomatoes with their juices and the basil until almost smooth. Set the tomato puree aside.
Heat the oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute' until very tender, about 12 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, oregano, and sugar, Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium and continue simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. ( the sauce can be made 1 day ahead. If storing for future use cool, then cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium heat before using.)
I LOVED this one! I did a few things differently. I boiled 2 ckn breasts then shredded them in big chunks. I also always add a little extra seasoning (more garlic, rosemary than called for). I also cheated a bit. I bough Gidia Tomato and Basil sauce and used it instead of from scratch sauce. It was so yummy! I kept chowing the ckn! Vic gave it a 3, I give it a 4.5 and conner gave it a 4 (he actaully ate it and went back for more!)
ReplyDeleteWhile Dad was home these past two nights I decided to make a couple of recipes. I made the chicken Ragu pasta. Dad rated it a 2 and I a 3. I love Jennifer's sphagetti pie recipe much better so I will stick to that one. I had everything this recipe called for except for the white wine. I asked Allison if I could use red and she said no, so I omitted that from the recipe.
ReplyDelete