Well, I had a few minutes today and thought I would get my February posts up so we all have time to get them on our grocery lists.


RED VELVET CAKE BALLS/POPS
You can go to the blog I found this on if you need some help, there are some cute ideas on there so look around and have fun! Bakerella
This one looked fun for the month of love and I plan on making these for gifts and naturally for my family to enjoy too! You can leave them as cake balls or put them on a stick for cake pops. I am going to cake pops and wrap them with a little cellophane wrapper (from Michael's) and then stick the pops in a little bucket from Target's dollar section I will fill with Hershey kisses.
I thought this looked and not to difficult.


RED VELVET CAKE BALLS/POPS
1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix (cook as directed on box for a 13 x 9 cake) OR you could use our Red Velvet Cake Mix
16 oz Cream Cheese (2 bricks)
1 Package Chocolate Bark or White
Wax or Parchment Paper
- After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with cream cheese. (It may be easier to mix with your fingers but as a warning it can get very messy!)
- Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50 balls, you can get even more if you use a mini ice cream scooper but she likes to hand roll them). If you are making pops, insert your sticks into the balls. (heee heee all these sticks and balls are making me laugh!)

4. Chill for several hours or put in freezer.
5. Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler.
6.Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. If making pops, stand them up in a cup to dry.
Side note- she says she only melts a few pieces of chocolate at a time because it starts to cool and thicken and it is easier to work with when it is hot.
You can also make a cooked frosting OR our cream cheese frosting to roll them in instead of chocolate if you wish.
COOKED FROSTING:
1 Cup Milk
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 sticks butter at room temp- may use two sticks if it is really thick
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Cook milk and flour- will be really thick
- Cool.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add cooled cooked mixture to creamed mixture and beat until combined.
She also made the red velvet cake using green coloring instead of red and used them for St. Patty's day with some sprinkles. Possibilities are endless, but I thought these were cute!


I know these aren't the ones we are making (they are cupcake pops from her blog) but I just wanted to show you how cute they were in their little cellophane wrappers. I will probably sprinkle a few of my pops with Valentine sprinkles too. I am so excited about these!
Oh Allison, I just gained 20 lbs just looking at the pictures. I also have saliva running out of my mouth. Wow!
ReplyDeleteWell they are bite size for a reason Mom. You can eat one and then give the rest away like I plan to.
ReplyDeleteSo what is everyone going to try? The dipped chocolate? cooked frosting? OR cream cheese frosting?
ReplyDeleteI made these yesterday and they were yummy but hard to make! I dipped them in the almond bark and the first 10 turned out pretty good but after that they kept falling off of the stick so I just made "balls" (ha ha) instead of pops. I sprinkled them with Valentine sprinkles and they looked really cute. I wonder if they would have dipped better if I would have froze them?
ReplyDeleteGreat advice, I will freeze them instead of putting them in the fridge. I am making them on Monday for Valentines for my family.
ReplyDeleteI made the yummy red velvet balls yesterday. I formed them into balls and froze them. I thought they would roll better in the choc. Today, I finished them. The choc stuck on them, no problem but red flakes were soon in the choc. They aren't as pretty as in the picture but really yummy.
ReplyDeleteMine are not as pretty as the ones in the pictures either. They are yummy though. I had trouble with them falling apart. I even made some a little bigger than others just to see how they would hold up. I finally just dropped the cake into the bark and spooned the coating onto it, that worked ok as well. they are very desirable and delicious to the taste. :)
ReplyDelete