Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shrimpies!

BAKED COCONUT SHRIMP AND PINEAPPLE DIPPING SAUCE

1 TBS Lime Juice
2 tsp Finely Chopped Fresh Jalapeno Pepper
1/2 Cup Pineapple Preserves
1 lb Uncooked Large Shrimp Peeled and Deveined
2 Egg Whites
2 TBS Cornstarch
2 Cups Sweetened Flaked Coconut
  1. Combine lime juice, jalapeno pepper, and pineapple preserves in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. In a small bowl beat egg white with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
  4. Place cornstarch and coconut on tow separate plates. Hold shrimp by the tail and dip and coat the shrimp with cornstarch. Next, dip the shrimp in the egg whites and finally in the coconut coating well.
  5. Place shrimp on the cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or until coconut is golden brown. Make sure to turn it once halfway through (around 8 minutes into cooking time) to make sure both sides brown.
  6. Serve with pineapple dipping sauce.

If you can not find pineapple preserves at the store here is a recipe to make at home (it is easy):

20 oz crushed pineapple in a jar

2 cups granulated sugar

  1. Bring pineapple and sugar to boil in a large sauce pan and cook 20 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened or until the temp reaches 200 degrees on a thermometer.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED these! Mostly loved the pineapple sauce. These will certainly be a make again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really liked them as well. They made a delicious Valentine's dinner. I couldn't find pineapple jelly so I bought apricot and Dad and I liked it. (Dad doesn't like pineapple anyway, but Malad is a little hard to find everything.) I will make these again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also likes these, I accidentally used sweetened coconut, but I think it was still yummy. I like sugar and things sweet so it was fine for me. This is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete