Monday, September 27, 2010

Chipotle-Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

I made pumpkin soup once and it was a bit bland. I am anxious to try this recipe and see how all of the flavors come together. I have high hopes for this recipe! I hope it is a winner, if not sorry, we tried.

I think it would go great with some corn bread!

Chipotle-Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
1 TBS Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 LG Yellow Onion, Chopped
2 LG Cloves of Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 Chipotle Chile in Abodo Sauce, Finely Chopped, 1 TBS Sauce Reserved
1 Bottle Mexican Beer, Such as Negra Modelo
One 15 oz Can Pure Pumpkin Puree
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
2 Pinches Ground Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper
3 Cups Chicken Broth
1-15 oz Can Black Beans, Drained
1 Green Apple, Finely Chopped
1/2 SM Red Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Jalapeno Chile, Seeded and Finely Chopped
1/3 Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro (Mom you may want to omit this, Dad doesn't like Cilantro)
Juice of 1 Lime
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Corn Tortilla Chips, Lightly Crushed (Optional)

In a soup pot, heat EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium high heat. Add the yellow onion, garlic, and chipotle with its sauce and cook, stirring for 5 minutes.

Add the beer and cook until reduced by half, 3 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin,chicken broth, beans, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine the apple, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. In another bowl, combine the sour cream and cranberry sauce.

Serve the soup in bowls and top with the apple salsa, cranberry sour cream and tortilla chips.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE soup, this one looks so interesting, I like black bean and pumpkin.

    Mom is being a stinker....... she said for you to make all of these when she comes up for conners birthday. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide what to think of this soup. First off, the chipotle makes it super hot, like burn the edges of your mouth hot. So add accordingly to your taste. I think 1/8 to 1/4 tsp chopped pepper would have been fine. I will say that this has been the best pumpkin soup recipe I have found. I actually really enjoyed the apple and cranberry mixes added to the soup. Vic added some shredded cheese and sliced up a left over brat we had and he really liked that. I would rate it a 3 or 3.5. Vic said a 2.5 or 3. I liked it but I don't see myself trying it again since no one else in the fam did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took allison s recommendations and made adjustments. Thanks Allison for being the first guinea pig. We added 1/2 a chipotle pepper, canned chicken and another can of black beans. I LOVED the apple salsa mix, who knew it would taste so good together. I also like the smoky flavor from the adobe sauce.
    Isabella ate her whole bowl all gone, so that says something for her.
    Howard 4
    Jen 4
    Joshua 4, he and howard added more chipotle to theirs. they like it HOT.
    Nathaniel took one bite and would not eat another.
    Alexander has pasta night so he ate nothing.
    I think we would make this again.

    ReplyDelete