Monday, September 27, 2010

Caramel Apple Oatmeal Bars

I have actually made these before and loved them! The blog that I got the recipe from stated they are the best when they are a day old, and they were right! If you make these I recommend maybe making them in the morning after the kids head to school and then enjoying them as an after dinner treat. They really are better the longer they sit. I get cravings for apple and pumpkin food come fall. As I am sure you will be able to tell in my posts!

Caramel Apple Oatmeal Bars

For the apples:

1.5 TBS butter

2-2.5 cups peeled and diced Fuji apples (about 2 medium to large apples)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 TBS brown sugar

For the Bars:

1 cup unsalted butter, softened and at room temp

1 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1/2 TBS vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

2 1/2 cups oats (old fashioned)

1 cup Kraft caramel bits (like pictured above- I found mine at Wally World by the choc chips)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt 1 1/2 TBS butter in large nonstick skilled over medium heat. When the foam subsides, toss the diced apples in and cook, turning once, until they are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle the apples with 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 TBS of brown sugar and cook, turning just until coated, another minute or so. Transfer apples to a small bowl and let cool while you make the bar dough.

In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, 1 tsp of cinnamon, and salt.

In a large mixing blow, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the vanilla.

Turn the mixer down to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing just until they are incorporated.

Stir in the oats, caramel bits, and apples. Mix well.

Pour dough into an ungreased 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan (I actually used a glass baking dish and mine turned out fine) and bake for 30-35 minutes (I would start checking it around 25 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

1 comment:

  1. Oh la la, I made these Friday night to munch on during Conference. OS of course I had to have a little nibble while they were warm. Both Howard and Joshua ate some with Ice cream, Then I have been piecing on them all day. We rate these a 5! Yummy! Easy to make.

    ReplyDelete