Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tis the Season...

For a cup of hot soup on a Fall day that is!
Well not so much for Jennifer.

SOUTHWESTERN CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
Makes 8 cups Total time-1 hour

3 TBLS unsalted butter
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 poplano chile, seeded and diced
1/2 cup diced onion
1 TBLS minced garlic
1 tsp hot chili powder (Mom just use regular so it's not too hot for you)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
6 TBLS all purpose flour divided
3 cups whole milk (if Mom or Allison use skim let me know how that works)
1 cup of beer (such as Corona) this is what attracted me to this recipe! : ) hahaha
1 cup of low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry converted white rice
3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 TBLS chopped fresh cilanto and lime slices

Melt butter in a large pot. Stir in bell pepper,
poblano, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
Sweat mixture until peppers begin to soften
About 5 minutes.

Whisk in 3 TBLS flour to coat veggies.
cook 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, beer,
and broth until smooth. Bring mixture
to a simmer. Stir in rice; simmer until
tender, about 15 minutes.

Combine cheese with remaining 3 TBLS
flour in a resealable plastic bag; toss to
coat. Add cheese to soup a handful at
a time, stirring to melt completely before
adding the next handful. Add chicken and
cilantro to heat 3-5 minutes.

Garnish each serving of soup with lime slices.

This is a completely new recipe for us. I can't wait
to try it. I love soups and this one just grabbed our
eyes and got our tastes buds tingling! : ) I am excited
to find out and hear from you all how it turns out.

8 comments:

  1. Yummmmmm! Millie these all look sooo good. It is supposed to be cold all next week- perfect for soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went a little easy on the chili powder and only used 1 cup pepperjack and then 2 cups of colby and cheddar so it wouldn't be to spicy for the kids. I probably could have added some more heat but was just trying to be safe. Also added some salt. I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the soup tonight and it was definately yummy and a keeper. I asked Dad on a scale of 1-5 how he would score it and he said 6. I also scored it a 5. Although, neither one of us like red peppers we picket them out. I only added 1/2 tsp of chili powder but only had cheddar cheese and hot pepperjack cheese so I added 2 cups of cheddar and 1 pepperjack. Because it made so much I put the soup into two containers and froze for two more meals. Yea. I must admit I was not too excited to make it but found it was very good. Thanks daughters for making me expand on my cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom I am so glad you and dad both loved it. What a compliment for dad to rate it a 6 and you a 5! Thank You! Now I am getting excited to make it too. I guess I won't wait until it cools down I will just make it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW MOM!, you are totally cooking outside the box and trying something new. I am so proud of you. I am going to make this sunday for dinner, can't wait to taste it. If I wait for it to be cool, that will be December.... ha ha
    We'll let you know what the Family thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. made this tonight! loved loved loved it! i couldn't get enough. my belly is the size of jennifer's state right now. we added more rice. we used cheddar jack instead of pepper jack. we didn't want it too spicy for the kids. BUT, we cut up some thai chilies from our garden and put in there for bid and me. wow, that packed on the spice. it was so yummy. i kind of thought that we should have some corn chips with it or something.
    bid-****
    camille*****
    noah-******* he absolutely loved it
    shelby-*** she didn't like the cilantro

    ReplyDelete
  7. one thing i read in the recipe last night was that the reason behind using whole milk, is to help it not seperate after the cheese is added. i don't know what the rest of you used, i am sure not whole milk, but today when we re-heated it after church it didn't seperate. just a little cooks note for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this after church yesterday. We almost the whole pot. Howard did not like the red peppers. ( I knew he would not) but alexander and I do like the red peppers. Joshua and Howard added more heat, which is easy to do but difficult to take away. SO, I added one cup of pepper cheese and 2 cups mild cheddar. I only added 2 chicken breast, next time I will add 3. My family rated this over all a 4.5. I think it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete